A healthy scalp is synonymous with healthy hair. Your scalp might form build-ups due to the overtaxing of products, dirt, oil, and dust. To make your hair healthy, clean your scalp once every few weeks. This helps in removing the residue formed in your hair and also reduces flake build-up, dryness, and itching. Clean your scalp either by using a scalp scrub or by using clarifying products. Opting for natural cleansing remedies are also highly recommended.
Use a Clarifying Shampoo
Washing your hair every month with a clarifying shampoo is essential for fighting hair dryness, itching, and flake formation. These shampoos can strip the color of your hair due to the presence of surfactants, hence always use the clarifying shampoo before getting your hair-coloring done.
Clarifying shampoo need to stay on your hair for the duration mentioned on the shampoo’s label.
Clarifying shampoo is best suitable for occasional use only. The surfactants present in these shampoos aid in the removal of residue build-up in the hair. As already mentioned, these shampoos should not be used often as that would make your hair dry and frizzy. The directions to use a clarifying shampoo on your hair are mentioned below.
- Take a small amount of shampoo in your hands and rub it against your palms.
- Massage the product on your scalp until it lathers well.
- Leave it on for the duration mentioned in the product.
- Rinse the shampoo with water after waiting for the mentioned time and continue with conditioning as usual.
Choose shampoos with huge amounts of surfactants as they work more efficiently.
Try a Scalp Cleansing Product
A lot of scalp cleansing and clarifying products are available today in the market, which includes exfoliating scrubs and cleansing foams for scalp massaging and serums for removing the dead skin cells in the scalp. Scalp cleansers help in getting rid of impurities, oils and product build-ups and are essential for preparing your scalp for season changes.
Scalp cleansers are used for detoxing hair follicles, removing build-ups and oils, and protecting the scalp from aging. Excess oils in hair trap bacteria, which reduce the strength of hair follicles.
Also, the products we use on our hair, clog our scalp’s pores and induce flakiness and dryness as a result. The benefits of using scalp cleansing products also include the slowing of the aging process, which is the reason for gray hairs. They also protect our hair from UV rays, which makes it brittle, dry, and flaky.
Use a Deep Conditioner after Cleansing Your Scalp
Cleansing your scalp means getting rid of everything in your hair, which includes hair moisture. So make sure to use a deep conditioner to restore the moisture that was stripped by the cleansing product from your hair. Leave-in conditioners also aid in restoring the moisture.
For deep conditioning, take a few drops of conditioner and rub them against your palms. Now comb them through your hair, starting a little below from the scalp. Distribute the conditioner throughout your hair and let it sit for at least ten minutes. Use a shower cap to trap the heat as that activates the hair follicles. Applying low heat using a blow dryer with your shower cap on gives better results as heat induces faster absorption of the product into the hair follicles. After the conditioner is left for a sufficient time in your hair, rinse it out using water.
Rinse with Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider Vinegar is excessively used because of its health benefits and its disinfectant properties that aid in the killing of bacteria, viruses, and fungi in the scalp. Apple cider vinegar is thus used for treating dry scalp and dandruff. Take water and apple cider vinegar in a bowl in a 4:1 ratio. Pour this mixture in a spray bottle and spray it over your scalp. Massage your scalp in circular motions and let your hair sit for at least five minutes for the absorption of the mixture into your scalp. After five minutes, rinse your hair with lukewarm water and shampoo it as normal. Apple cider vinegar improves overall scalp health and promotes shine. Vinegar is rich in acetic acid, and hence it is used for treating the alkalinity induced in hair caused due to flaky and dry hair. Usage of apple cider vinegar lowers the hair pH and thus improves scalp health by restoring it to normal.
Use Lemon Juice
Lemon juice is much similar to Apple cider vinegar as they have the same effects on your hair. Lemon juice can lighten your hair shade, enhance the shine, removes the oil, dandruff, and flakes. In cases of seborrhoeic dermatitis, lemon juice helps in the absorption of excess hair oils. Citric acid-rich lemon juice is used for reducing the alkalinity of your hair and restoring it to normal. Mix a few spoons of lemon juice with water and apply it to your scalp. Massage your scalp in circular motions and ensure the distribution of the lemon juice throughout your hair. You may use a spray bottle, as mentioned above. Let the mixture sit on your hair for five minutes and then rinse your hair. Proceed with shampooing and conditioning as usual.
Use Baking Soda Scrub
Baking soda, when mixed with water, acts as an exfoliant and aids in removing dirt and build-ups in your hair. Baking soda scrub can also soften your hair. For preparing a baking soda scrub, mix baking soda in water in 1:4 or 1:5 ratio. Massage this paste in your scalp in circular motions. Use a brush, if needed, for distributing the scrub throughout your scalp. Let this mixture sit for five minutes. After five minutes, rinse your hair. Since baking soda is alkaline, it is advisable to finish your hair with an apple-cider-vinegar-rinse to restore your scalp’s pH. This treatment can be done weekly once but not daily.
However, baking soda has a few side effects and is found to be abrasive, which is why being mindful of the amount of baking soda you use for your hair is highly essential. Baking soda also tends to induce dryness. So replacing your everyday shampoo with baking soda can be avoided.
Use a Cinnamon Mask
Cinnamon has the capacity to kill the bacteria present in your scalp. Hence adding cinnamon powder to your hair mask enhances your scalp health. For a hair mask, mix a teaspoon of baking soda with half a teaspoon of cinnamon powder. Add a few drops of olive oil to bring it to a mask or scrub consistency. Now gently mix the ingredients. Massage your scalp in circular motions with this hair mask on. Cover your scalp with this mask and leave it to sit for at least fifteen minutes for good results. After fifteen minutes, rinse your hair in lukewarm water to remove the mask and proceed with your usual hair shower routine. Adding baking soda, as already mentioned above, helps in the removal of dirt, dust, dandruff, and oils present in the air. Olive oil is an excellent hair moisturizer, and it restores the moisture stripped by baking soda.
Wash Your Hair Properly
Hair products, however beneficial they may be, should be thoroughly rinsed during showers to remove their build-up. Follow the below-given tips to have a squeaky-clean scalp.
- Wash your hair completely before applying shampoo.
- Direct usage of shampoo to your hair can dry out your hair quickly due to the concentration of their formula. Hence mixing shampoo with sufficient amounts of water is advisable. This also gets distributed well throughout your hair and reduces your usual shampoo usage quantity.
- Avoid hot water and choose lukewarm water instead. This helps the cuticles to open up and makes the products work better.
- Shampooing has to be focused mainly on the scalp.
- Be gentle with your hair while washing as harsh scrubbing can cause hair breakage.
- Conditioner is not meant for the scalp. Adding them to the scalp induces build-up. Focus your conditioner only on hair ends.
Keep Your Hair Detangled
Women experience the worst tangles and knots daily. Some women choose to keep their hair short only because of being fed up with the tangles. A few tips and tricks to keep your hair tangle-free are mentioned below :
- Always condition your ends well. Natural oils of hair have a tough time reaching the ends, and hence our hair ends demand moisturization. Condition your hair as good as possible to keep your hair smooth and tangle-free.
- Invest in high-quality hair combs and brushes as plastic brushes ruin hair texture. Always use a wide-toothed comb or brush for detangling your hair.
- Avoid using too much hair products as the chemicals in the hair products could have adverse effects on your hair and induce breakage.
- If you have funds, invest in a good detangler as they make your detangling process less unbearable.
- Try to minimize the usage of hair dyes as they increase the dryness of your hair.
- For healthier and bouncier hair, trim your hair regularly.
- Pick up a hair-mask from the store or make your own hair-mask using kitchen ingredients every week as they greatly help in enhancing the overall health of your hair.
As much as you invest in making your hair look fabulous, invest time to work on the health of your hair as it gets easily affected by many external factors like sun, pollution, etc. and internal factors like hair products, styling, etc. Hair is just like the crown that you will never take off. Thus, handle your hair with utmost care.