Before you get into the details of using argan oil on your hair, let’s discuss first what argan oil is.
What is Argan Oil?
Argan oil is a naturally obtained oil from the kernels of Moroccan argan trees, which has innumerous health benefits when applied on the skin or ingested. The oil-rich kernels are obtained by removing the peel and pulp of argan fruit and then cracking the nut by hand. These kernels are then grounded, pressed, decanted, and filtered to obtain the nutrient-rich argan oil.
The vast amount of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and nutrients found in argan oil nourishes skin, nails as well as hair. A few benefits of argan oil include prevention of skin damage, moisturization, skin conditions, acne treatments, etc. It has anti-aging, anti-inflammatory properties, and also has skin healing abilities.
How to Use Argan Oil for Better Hair?
Argan oil can either be used as a leave-in conditioner by rubbing a few drops in hair or can be used as a hair mask for deep moisturization of your hair. Either way, regular use of argan oil makes hair amazingly silky, smooth, and healthy. The directions to apply argan oil are given below:
- Apply a few drops on your hand and rub them against your palm. Now run your oily fingers through your hair, starting from the roots to the tips. This enriches your hair making it look smooth. This helps in frizz control as well.
- Massage argan oil in your scalp for scalp hydration. Move your fingers in a circular motion against your scalp for massage. If you are suffering from dandruff and itchy scalp problems, massaging your scalp regularly with argan oil would yield significant results in a few weeks.
- Apply argan oil 2-3 times a week for nourished hair. In case your hair is excessively damaged and brittle, the daily use of argan oil could help you control the damage.
- Once you are done with the application of oil in hair and scalp, cover your head with a shower cap as this enables in retaining the heat, which activates the oil and allows deeper absorption of the oil into the hair follicles. The hair mask should be left for at least thirty minutes.
- After having the hair mask on for a sufficient time, hop into the shower, and shampoo your hair as usual for removing the oil from your hair. Post shampooing, condition your hair like you always would, and rinse out all the products from your hair.
- This process has to be repeated at least once a week to strengthen and rejuvenate your hair.
Moisturize and Condition Hair with Argan Oil
Argan oil, which is rich in fatty acids like oleic acid and linoleic acid, can be used as a moisturizer for skin and hair. Argan oil is also a protectant as its application forms a shield of vitamin E and fatty acids that prevent damage and dryness. Argan oil can be used as a deep conditioner, pre-shampoo conditioner, leave-in conditioner, hair mask, or serum because of its non-greasy property.
If you are deeply irritated by your frizzy hair, use Argan oil as a serum. Apply a few drops of argan oil in your wet hair by combing your hair using fingers during blow-drying. This will add a bouncy look to your hair and tames your frizz.
Improves Scalp Health:
Argan oil, extracted from the core of the argan tree brims, has amazing benefits when it comes to skin and hair problems. As already mentioned above, Argan oil is rich in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. In addition to this, argan oil is also rich in essential fatty acids and Vitamin E, the component crucial to hair growth and rejuvenation. Adding argan oil to your hair and scalp helps you fight damaged hair, dandruff problems, itchy scalp, dermatitis, and hair breakage. For improving scalp health, massage your scalp in a circular motion for at least five minutes by taking a few drops of argan oil in your scalp.
Prevents Heat Damage:
The heat from excessive use of styling tools damages your hair, which can be mended by argan oil. The vitamin E and fatty acids present in it protect your hair from the damages caused by blow-drying, straightening, and curling. A few drops of argan oil before and after styling is recommended for hair protection. Argan oil is extensively used nowadays as a heat protectant due to its non-greasy texture. People who used argan oil for their extensively damaged hair, owing to excessive chemical and heat treatments, personally recommend argan oil for its ability to restore the luster and softness.
If you are suffering from damaged hair problems, use Argan Oil as a pre-shampoo conditioner. In this case, massage your hair in circular motions with a few drops of argan oil and let it sit for at least thirty minutes. After thirty minutes, shampoo and condition your hair as usual. This results in soft and moisturized hair as pre-conditioning stimulates hair follicles.
Prevents Styling and Coloring Damage:
As already mentioned above, argan oil is rich in essential medium-chain fatty acids, which acts as a shield and protects your hair from damage due to washing and styling. Studies suggest that argan oil when applied to color-treated Caucasian hair, aids in the reduction of the damage caused by the dye. Oil treatment done using argan oil has many benefits as it decreases split-end formation and controls hair damage. Argan oil’s capability of protecting hair breakage from the styling is due to the presence of linoleic acid, oleic acid, and palmitic acid. Before using any styling tools on your hair, coat your hair with a few drops of argan oil since it acts as a heat protective layer for your hair.
The damaging UV rays of the sun is the worst enemy for skin and hair. Apply a few drops of Moroccan Argan oil on your hair and skin before leaving out in the sun. This oil, which is rich in vitamin E, acts as a sun protectant, thus insulating your hair and skin from the harmful UV rays of the sun. The damaging effects of the sun are not immediately visible, but eventually, you might face problems of dry hair and skin, hair breakage, etc., which is why using argan oil as a skin protectant is essential.
Encourage Hair Growth:
Argan oil has been used for hair growth by women in Morocco. The presence of Vitamin E in argan oil encourages breakage-free hair growth, thus boosting hair volume. Vitamin E is essential for hair growth and is a medicine for hair loss. For the growth of healthy hair, moisturizing the scalp is essential, and argan oil helps in that aspect as well. To nourish your scalp with argan oil, take a few drops and massage them in circular motions along your scalp. Though argan oil has a lot of ingredients that stimulate hair growth, scientifically argan oil hasn’t been linked with hair growth directly.
Use Argan Oil Hair Mask:
If you want to use argan oil as a hair mask, saturate your hair from end to roots by applying at least ten drops of argan oil. Use more argan oil in the ends if you are dealing with split-ends. Comb through your hair using your fingers to let the oil penetrate evenly through your hair shaft. Massage your hair at least for ten minutes to stimulate the hair follicles. Argan oil can also be combined with coconut oil, castor oil, and other righteous root oils for hair masks.
Use Argan Oil Shampoo:
Take the usual amount of shampoo you would use and mix it with a couple of drops of argan oil. Apply it on your hair and condition it as usual. Postconditioning, after three to five minutes, rinse your hair to strip them off the hair products. This can be repeated once every two to three days for good results.
Use Argan Oil Conditioner:
- If you are suffering from dry hair problems, use Argan oil as a deep conditioner. In this case, mix a few drops of argan oil with your conditioner in hands and apply them on all hair strands from root to tip. Allow them to sit for at least 5 minutes and rinse your hair for a glossy and smooth hair look.
- If you are having excessive hair split-end problems, use Argan oil as a leave-in conditioner. In this case, rub a few drops of argan oil in your palms and comb your hair using your fingers. Massage your scalp as well. This results in a glossy hair look and also tames frizzy hair.
Use Argan Oil as a Styling Product:
For styling, please take a couple of argan oil drops and run it through your hair by combing the strands using your fingers. Then massage on the scalp for a while. Once you coat your hair with this light coating of argan oil, style your hair as usual with any of the styling products like curling iron, flat irons, etc. It will not only protect your hair from the heat but also add a great shine to your hair, making them smooth and lustrous.
Choose products that have argan oil in it for healthier hair and gain all these benefits.