Going bald is truly a life-changing decision for many people. You’ll be surprised to see that after shaving their head, people tend to get more confident about their looks. However, it can be a hassle to go to the barbershop every time to maintain the bald look. This is why it’s more convenient to learn how to shave by yourself. Below are some useful tips to remember when shaving your head.
Before learning how to shave your head smoothly, you should understand first the different methods of shaving. There are three types of shaving methods that you can choose from when shaving your head at home:
- Razor Shave. This is probably the easiest way to shave your head. All you have to do is wet your head and pull out the strands. Then, you have to pull the hair forward until you reach the part that surrounds your scalp. Finally, you just have to shave the remaining hair.
- Wet shave. For this method, all you have to do is wet your head with warm water. Next, use a shaving cream or other hair creams available in your stash, and just shave away.
- Dry shave. This requires the use of electric shavers. First, you need to wet your head like the previous methods, pull out the strands, and then shave all the hair. You have to use a high-quality electric shaver for this method.
Useful Tips When Shaving Your Head
Whether you’re shaving your head for the first time or not, these are some useful tips that can help you in the process:
1. Use The Right Tools.
Choosing the right tools for the job makes a whole lot of difference when getting a clean shave. Whichever method you choose, remember to always use a fresh razor or blade. If you opt for a razor shave, you should use a straight or double-edge razor.
You can also use a set of hair clippers and remove the guard so you can achieve the look you’re aiming for. There are different types of clippers such as a skull shaver, electric shaver, and many others.
2. Prepare Your Scalp.
One of the best ways to prep your head for a shave is to douse it with a warm or hot water. By doing so, your hair will be softer, making it easier to manage.
While you’re in the shower, make sure that you wash your hair thoroughly to remove all the dirt from your scalp. After showering, take some time to brush your hair. This is especially important if you have long hair to get rid of the tangles between the strands. Brushing your hair will also help as it exfoliates the skin for a smoother shave.
Applying oil before your shaving cream is also beneficial to help soften and hydrate your scalp. The oil also creates an extra line of defense against the blades. When you apply lubricant on your scalp and hair before shaving, you reduce the risk of having ingrown hairs and razor burn. It’s also helpful for people who have sensitive skin. There are different types of oils you can try like coconut, castor, and jojoba.
3. Don’t Rush.
When shaving your head, you should start with the area that’s visible when you look in the mirror. It’s better to shave from the front or the sides, since you can see the clipper or razor better as you slide it onto your scalp carefully.
You should save the thicker or coarser sections for the last part. Once you’ve finished shaving your whole head, you can check for any missed spots and then have another round of shaving to keep it even.
It’s important to note that shaving your hair correctly takes time. Rushing the shaving process is not recommended because it can lead to accidents like cutting your skin.
4. Don’t Forget After-Care.
Even after successfully going bald, you still need to maintain and take care of your shaven head. Here are some after-care tips you should remember:
- Moisturize your head after every shave. This will soothe any irritation your scalp might feel after.
- If you feel any discomfort after shaving, apply a benzoyl peroxide cleanser once a day.
- Protect your bare scalp from the sun. Don’t forget to use sunblock with at least SPF 30 before going out.
There are different hairstyles for balding men, and shaving their head clean is one of them. When it comes to shaving your head, you should use the best products that are also affordable. However, do not look for the cheapest products without considering the quality. Otherwise, you’re going to have the worst shaving experience and run the risk of irritating your skin. The best products for a clean and smooth shave are going to be a bit costly, but once you see your newly shaved head in the mirror, every penny will be worth it.