Does your hair feel dull, or do you think sebum and hair products are building up on the hair strands? Your hair might need some deep cleaning, and clarifying shampoo will do the job.
Clarifying shampoos are made to restore healthy hair and eliminate sebum and product build-up using naturally derived active ingredients formulated to remove the residue of styling products and keep the scalp clean and refreshed.
Clarifying Shampoo Vs. Regular Shampoo
Unlike regular shampoo, clarifying shampoos are made of active ingredients, which are mainly surfactants. These are cleansing agents that target the hair’s surface to get rid of product residue, grease, and other impurities.
Here are some of the common surfactants found in clarifying shampoo and their uses:
- Sodium lauryl sulfate and ammonium lauryl sulfate: Cleans the hair by helping water mix with oil and dirt so they can be rinsed away.
- Cetrimonium Chloride and Cetrimonium Bromide: Also help cleanse the hair and prevent odor by destroying or inhibiting microorganisms’ growth.
- Ethoxylated Alcohols Cleansing Agents: Cleans the hair by helping water mix with oil and dirt so they can be rinsed away; have a milder cleansing effect.
Are Clarifying Shampoos Safe?
With these active ingredients in the shampoo, you might inquire about its safety. As with anything in life, too much of something could be bad for you. Using this shampoo more than twice a week may cause frizz and dryness. Too many surfactants might strip away the natural oil and moisture in the hair, leaving it dull and lifeless. To reset your hair with a clarifying shampoo, it is recommended that its use should be limited to just once or twice a week for better results.
Safety precautions also apply to dyed hair as heavy surfactants could wear away the hair color. Other hair conditions such as dandruff, psoriasis, and seborrheic dermatitis should be considered before using a clarifying shampoo.
Using A Clarifying Shampoo
Clarifying shampoo can be applied as you would apply any other shampoo. Follow these simple steps when using one:
- Wet the hair with warm water, not hot, as hot water may damage your hair. This process also helps eliminate a layer of dirt from the hair.
- Squeeze a small amount of shampoo into your hands and apply it to the wet hair. Lather the shampoo into the hair, and make sure to massage it to the scalp to get rid of the accumulated dirt on the roots.
- Leave the shampoo on the hair for 30 seconds. It’ll ensure the product will do its job of melting away the dirt on your hair.
- Rinse the hair thoroughly. Stylists recommend rinsing the hair with cold water as it may help seal in moisture in the hair strands to make the hair shinier.
- Follow it up with a conditioner after washing the hair. Since the clarifying shampoo’s job is to deep clean the hair, it strips most natural and artificial oils from the hair. So, it’s a must to replenish the moisture and rehydrate the hair to avoid damage and breakage.
- For even better results, add a hair mask to this routine to restore moisture and level up your hair game.
Remember, clarifying shampoo is tailored to deep clean the hair, so it’s best used once or twice a week.
How To Choose The Right Shampoo
Though clarifying shampoos are all made to deep clean the hair, there are various choices now offered in the market. Choosing a clarifying shampoo should be primarily based on your hair type and whether it’s chemically treated or dyed.
When using clarifying shampoos, look for certain surfactants on the label, such as:
- ammonium lauryl sulfate
- ammonium laureth sulphate
- sodium lauryl sulfate
- sodium stearate
- alpha-olefin sulfonate
Always check the label of the clarifying shampoo. For color-treated hair, choose the shampoo that has ‘color-safe’ on the label. When in doubt, though, always consult a professional. A hair care expert with years of experience in hair maintenance can help determine the best product for your hair.
Wrap It All Up
The hair is known as the crowning glory because it makes a lot of difference to a person’s image, so it’s best to take utmost care of this glory. Thus, proper hair care must always be a primary concern before trying any new product. Seek professional reviews before you decide to purchase.
And when deciding on clarifying shampoo, know that it could be a great addition to the usual hair care routine because of the profound cleaning benefits. While it can help maintain your tresses clean and shiny, it’s not suitable for daily use.