Hair is always the best option to invest in and it is always better to surround yourself with beautiful and gorgeous hair that would lead to confidence and lovely environment around you. A lot of hair issues pop up these days because of numerous common reasons such as hair fall, dandruff, or hair thinning. Hair Care can give you the health and glamorous look back and you can wangle it by just following some hair care regimes.
Hair Care includes washing your hair whenever it is dirty with a mild shampoo and using lukewarm water. Always comb your hair with a large-toothed comb and comb it from top to bottom. The signs of strong and healthy hair include shine, elasticity, and fullness. The way you nourish and take care of your skin, your hair needs a hair care routine in a similar way that can protect you from the hair issues like hair loss or hair thinning.
Hair Care Guide for Thinning Hair & Grow it Thicker
What Does Thinning Hair Look Like?
Hair thinning is a hair problem that includes acute hair loss, which can go to an extreme hair loss case. It is not mandatory that thinning hair causes baldness like major hair loss. You might see some thinner spots of hair on your head when hair thinning happens. It may not occur suddenly, but it happens gradually.
Hair thinning may seem like more scalp visible through your hair strands that make your that part look a little wider. Sometimes, you may not see any spots or an area; it might be just the thickness of your hair that has reduced. You may feel like your hair is not as lustrous as it used to be, and that may be possible because of a poor hair care regime.
Why Is My Hair Thinning?
There is not a certain answer to hair thinning cause. The very first step is to understand the underlying cause that is making your hair-thin. You need to find out what is actually happening inside your body that is making you lose your hair strands. Sometimes, hair thinning is normal due to environmental conditions or can just be part of the natural growth cycle of hair but sometimes it can be an underlying health condition that causes hair thinning.
It is often said that as the result of your natural hair growth cycle, you may shed 150 hair per day, which is normal. There are times when you don’t see or realize how much hair you lose per day but if you see clumps of hair shedding or visible thinning of your hair, then there might be a reason.
The major reasons for thinning hair are genetics, lifestyle, or habits. There are certain medical conditions also that might be responsible for thinning hair.
Lifestyle Habits – Habits are the highest contributor that cause hair loss or hair thinning. If you are thinking about how lifestyle habits can affect your hair quality, below are some factors that can cause hair thinning due to your lifestyle.
- Using harsh chemicals like temporary color, gels, or extreme use of sprays.
- Deficiency of iron, folic acid, protein, and minerals in your diet.
- Hairstyling more than usual like relaxers, blow-dry, straightener, etc.
- Tying your hair high and tightly can break your hair from follicles gradually.
- Stress and depression can cause your hair to break and appear thinner.
Medical Conditions – It is not always your mistake or poor hair care that causes thinning of hair. Sometimes, underlying health conditions or medical reasons that can cause hair fall or hair thinning. Below are some medical factors that are the reason for your hair thinning.
- If you have some immune system deficiencies.
- You have an infection or skin disorder.
- When you experience a sudden weight loss in a short time.
- You recently had a baby or stopped birth control pills.
- If you are suffering from an autoimmune disease or have a family history.
Other Reasons – Apart from these two major reasons, there can be quite unfamiliar reasons that can cause your hair loss or hair thinning. These reasons may include pulling at own hair harshly, using a thin comb frequently, having eating disorders, etc.
Hair Loss in Men
In Men, the most common hair loss is caused due to male pattern baldness. It is a genetic condition where thinning of the hair depends on a variety of factors. If your hair loss is happening in a regular pattern from the crown of your head, then it is a sign that you have male pattern baldness, but if you are losing hair in patches, it might be alopecia ( a medical condition where hair loss happens in patches).
Hair loss is quite common in men, and half of the fifty years old guys are usually bald. The male pattern hair loss is caused due to the increased sensitivity of your body to androgens ( male sex hormones). It is often hereditary, and the effect of this process is also dependent on your genes. You may also suffer from hair thinning because of changes in hormone levels, stressful environment, scalp infections and in these cases hair thinning is not permanent and can be cured.
Some tips to reduce hair loss in men are below:
- Try not to pull your hair excessively like braids, cornrows, or ponytails.
- Exercise often to relieve stress.
- You can consider cosmetic surgery in case of major hair loss.
- Avoid applying harsh or strong chemicals to your hair as it would have a bad effect.
- Face up to the realities and fight for the cause instead of being depressed and losing your self-esteem.
Hair Loss in Women
Often, hair loss is considered Guy’s problem, but women also experience hair loss at some point in time in their lives. At least one-third of women are expected to experience hair problems due to a variety of reasons. Hair loss in women is not as severe as in men, and women are less likely to go bald because of hair loss. With proper treatment, hair loss in women can be controlled and can be cured. Other than normal treatments, cosmetic surgeries can help women to get their beautiful glory of the crown back.
Multiple reasons can cause hair thinning in women. From tight hairstyles to taking certain medications that put side effects on their hair. In a stressful situation like depression, women are likely to get hair loss. There are some other common reasons for hair loss in women that include:
- Thyroid imbalance.
- Hormonal Changes.
- Inflammatory conditions.
- A recent pregnancy.
- Birth Control Pills.
Apart from the above reasons, a common genetic condition known as androgenic alopecia can also lead to hair loss. It is a condition in which women loses hair from the top of their head, and the part of the scalp widens. It commonly occurs at the age between their 40s to 50s as the hair growth is reduced. The new hair that grows at that age is less robust and thin in texture.
Certain inflammatory conditions like psoriasis, eczema, or frontal fibrosing alopecia affects the scalp causing scarring and hair thinning. Some genetic factors and environmental conditions are responsible for this kind of hair loss in women.
The treatment for your hair loss depends on the underlying cause of your hair thinning. Women can go for simple medication or hair care treatments to get their lustrous hair back. If the condition is severe, you can go for cosmetic surgery to regrow or replace your hair. In addition, you may also want to consult with a thyroid specialist to check if it’s a thyroid related hair loss.
How to Make Your Hair Thicker
Your hair can provide great insight into your overall health. The treatment of your hair loss is mainly dependent on the underlying cause of your hair thinning. But for most for the reasons, there is a remedy available. For the unexpected hair loss, make sure to make an appointment with a doctor as they can better understand and explain to you the reason your hair is falling. As early you catch the hair thinning cause, the easier it will be to reverse it.
If you are also facing hair thinning and are looking for the options to make your hair thicker, then we have below options for you:
- Medications – There are numerous medications and solutions available for your hair loss. You can go for Minoxidil (Rogaine), which treats the hair loss when it is applied to the scalp. Another medication is finasteride(Propecia) which is mainly prescribed for hair loss in men, but postmenopausal women can also use it if prescribed. If you think your hair loss is due to hormonal change, then your doctor may also prescribe you Spironolactone.
- Supplements – When your hair loss reason is not specified, and it is normal hair thinning, then the cause may be your dietary habits. You need to take multivitamins as healthy hair needs folic acid, zinc, and iron to keep your hair growing. You can go for a simple blood test to know if you have any deficiency. Also, include folic acid supplements that are important for new cell generation. Biotin or Vitamin B-7 helps to break down enzymes in your body and it can be great for your thinning hair. It can be found in nuts and lentils. If your hair loss is due to inflammation, then Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids can be a great benefit for your scalp and skin.
- Cosmetic Treatment – When your hair fall is not reversed with any prescribed medication and you can consider cosmetic treatment to reverse your hair loss. If you don’t want any surgery to be done, you can go for a wig that is an easy and simple option to cover your patches or thin hair. If you have major hair loss, you can try hair transplantation where the doctor will move active follicles to areas where hair thinning is happening, but it would be an expensive option.
- Hair thickening products – Another way to make your hair thick is to use the products that have iron, folic acid, or other essential minerals required for your hair. The products include hair thickening shampoos, thickening creams, etc. Also, the essential oils with folic acid can make your hair thick as it reactivates the hair follicles.
- Other Treatments – Apart from these common medications and treatment, a new hair loss treatment option is Platelet-rich Plasma (PRP) injections, which required your blood to be drawn. The doctor then divides it into components, the blood fluid is recombined with increased platelets and it is again put back to the scalp by injecting through microneedles. Also, low level LED laser lights can be used to help to make your hair thicker as it helps your hair to grow again from the areas where it is thin.
How to Make Thin Hair Look Thicker
The process of treating your hair thinning might concern you, but it should be the reason to worry or take stress as it is treatable with a lot of options. But, the treatment can take a long time like about six to eight months and meanwhile, you would be worried about how to hide the areas or get a way that would make your hair look thicker.
There are certain ways in which you can avoid the embarrassment you get when you style your thin hair, especially if you have some wider area or patches. Below are some of the tips and styling options that you can follow to make your thin hair look thicker.
- Choose a haircut that is short to medium length and try keeping your hair at your shoulder length.
- Add some layers to your haircut while cutting your locks to give the voluminous illusion.
- Go for hair extensions that are a natural-looking and an effective idea to make your thin hair appear thicker.
- Tease your hair at the roots all over in the opposite direction using a rattail comb to give an appearance of increased volume.
- Use more volumizing styling hair products to give a thicker appearance to your hair.
- Highlighting your hair can create the illusion of fuller locks and adds depth to your locks.
- To make your hair look thicker and bouncy, use a ceramic brush while blow dry as it will build volume while styling.
- Change your parting on the opposite side as the deep side parting can make your other side appear thicker and voluminous.
- Create braids on your damp hair and let it air dry. When you open your braids after your hair is dry, it will create loose waves that give a thick appearance.
- Use thickening creams like thickening pomade that would help to transform your thin hair into Piecey and messy thick strands.
- Create a double ponytail instead of a single high ponytail as it would give the illusion of thicker strands.
- Use the pancaking technique while making braids that would give an appearance of thick braids and add volume to your hair.
- If you like to make a bun and your hair are thin to achieve it, go for a donut bun or a sock bun that would rock your bun with thick appearance.
Hair Growth Remedies
While some of the cases would be critical and need doctor prescription, there are a lot of hair thinning cases that can be treated at home with easy remedies and a proper hair care regime. If your hair thinning is also not major and is due to an unknown common issue like environmental factor or poor diet, then we have got some easy remedies that you can follow to stop your hair loss.
1. Using Essential Oils – The oils that are gathered from some special plants used in medicines or aromatherapy are known as essential oils. For treating baldness and hair loss, lavender oil has been known as a great success. To treat hair loss, you can mix lavender oil with thyme and rosemary. There is no certainty that it would help with your thinning hair, but you can definitely give it a try as a remedy for hair loss.
2. Head Massage – The easiest way to make your hair thicker at home and stop hair loss is a head massage. It is the cheapest way to follow as a remedy as the scalp massage would increase the blood circulation at your roots when you apply pressure with the help of your fingers. Scalp massage can be repeated every two days or twice a week for better results.
3. Laser Therapy – Most people think, and it is obvious that skin specialists or dermatologists use laser therapy, but some products are now approved by the FDA to be used at home. Laser therapy at home can be an effective remedy to regrow your hair and make your hair thicker at home only. The products may cost you more and laser therapy would be a large investment for you to make.
4. Exfoliation for Scalp – Your scalp is also skin, and it needs regular exfoliation like your other body parts. The dead skin cells, leftover products, and oil buildup can make your scalp unhealthy and become a reason for your hair thinning. As a remedy, you can use exfoliating scrub once or twice a month to remove extra buildup and clean your scalp.
5. Reduce Heat Styling – Too much heat styling often damages your hair or has an adverse effect in the long run, resulting in your hair to thin or causes hair fall. Whenever possible, let your hair air dry instead of blow dry. Also, avoid using curling, straightening, or other heat styling products on your hair as it would reduce the natural strength of your hair. If there is a need to use those tools, make sure to use them at a low or medium temperature that would cause less damage to your strands.
6. Exercise – We all know that exercising is a perfect way to stay fit, and it helps your body to be healthy. Not only your body but exercise is great for your hair too. Exercise is known as a great stress reliever and it improves blood circulation in your body that results in hair growth and stopping hair loss caused because of depression or heavy stress.
7. Eating Habits – Improve your eating habits by making sure you include the necessary vitamins and minerals in your diet. Lean protein and Vitamin E rich food are wonderful to make your hair thick and full. To add oxygen and nutrients to your hair, you can add cinnamon to your diet. Make sure you never dehydrate as new follicles may become weak if you drink less water and result in hair loss.
8. Avoid Alcohol and Smoking – We all know the side effects of alcohol and smoking and how dangerous it is for our bodies. But do you even know that it can have an adverse effect on your hair too? Yes, there are a lot of studies that list down smoking and alcohol being the reason for your hair loss. Drinking alcohol in higher amounts can lead to dehydration, and smoking impacts the blood flow to your hair follicles stopping hair growth.
By following these easy remedies, you can stop your hair thinning and regrow your hair in a healthy and nourishing way.
Shampoo for Thinning Hair
Applying shampoo and conditioner has been a part of everyone’s life, and the shampoo or conditioner you use makes a great impact on your hair health. Moreover, the way you shampoo also affects your hair health as it is not only the length and ends of your hair that need shampoo, but it is the roots that need to be cleaned. Your scalp sheds dead cells and produces oil continuously and if it is not cleaned properly, your hair may become dull, dry, and result in hair thinning.
1. Pick Thickening Shampoo – To get thicker hair if you suffer from hair thinning, choose a shampoo that adds bounce and volume to your hair. The shampoos that come with a description such as “thickening,” “volumizing,” or “lightweight” should be your preference. Make sure you clean your scalp frequently to avoid flakes.
2. Shampoo for Fine hair – In the market, go for the shampoos that are sulfate-free as it would help in your hair growth. Natural and sulfate-free shampoos such as Kama Ayurveda rose and jasmine, argan oil shampoo, Rainforest shine shampoo, Hydrating macadamia oil shampoo are perfect to use on fine hair.
3. Condition before Shampoo – To get the strong and healthy hair, you must condition your hair and if you feel conditioner makes your hair appear thin and sleek, it is always best to condition your hair before you shampoo. The ideal texture and volume will build up if you shampoo your hair after conditioning, and also, your hair will be healthy and soft.
4. Use Mousse – People might think mousse is sticky and crunchy and hence they don’t prefer using it. But for your thin hair, use an egg-size amount of mousse and apply it on your damp hair after shampooing from roots to ends to add volume to your hair.
5. Use Dry Shampoo – If your hair is greasy and your skin is oily, then your hair may appear thin and it is a great issue when you are struggling with hair thinning problem. In that case, use a dry shampoo with the ingredients that help to remove the residues like clay, and it would keep your roots healthy while making your hair appear thicker as it acts as a texturizing spray.
Below is the list of 5 shampoos that you can opt for your thinning hair.
- Ogx Thick and Full Biotin and Collagen Shampoo
- Jason Thin to Thick Extra Volume Shampoo
- Living Proof Full Shampoo
- Tresemme Thick & Full Shampoo
- Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Scalp Care Anti-thinning Shampoo
Hairstyles for Thinning Hair
To choose a hairstyle for thinning hair can be a tough choice as you would be longing for some ravishing and engaging hairstyle that would make your look impressive and charming, but your fine hair won’t allow you to wangle it. Every problem has a solution, and if you are also worried about getting an attractive hairstyle for thinning hair, your search ends here. We have got a few best hairstyles for thinning hair that you would love to opt for as they are trendy and will also help you to get your desired look.
Sleek Side Swept Bob
Sleek side-swept bob hairstyle is an ideal hairstyle for girls with fine hair. When you face thinning of hair, the first thing you should do is to cut your locks and try to keep them above shoulder length. A bob haircut is just fine for your thin and sleek hair. Now, getting highlights of some trendy shade like platinum or blonde will make your hair appear thicker, and the shine would give an illusion of thicker hair. Now, if your hair is thinning from the top and some area appears weird, then a better way is to change your parting and get a side part. The side-parted bob will add volume to your top hair giving a beautifully sleek and appealing look.
Messy Top with Faded Sides
A cool and stylish hairstyle for the guys having thin and fine hair. You can go for the short or faded sides that go gradually light to the sides. For guys having thin hair, the hairstyle with a top styled with some volumizing product is an optimum choice. To get the particular look, use sea salt spray after messily styling your top hair avoiding the use of a comb. Keep your top hair towards the front and a little upwards to hide the thin hair portion giving an appearance of thicker hair. Messy top hair with faded sides is quite a trendy and modish option to opt for young guys having thin hair.
Platinum Lob with Layered Bangs
If you don’t like to go for a bob haircut and prefer and little longer hair, then you can go for shoulder length lob with layers. The lob with layers is an optimum hairstyle for girls having a cool and bold attitude. The hairdo works great for any face type but looks stunning on girls with short face types such as oval and round. You can go for platinum highlights with a dark top and lighter end that would make your hair appear voluminous and thicker. Style your platinum lob with a middle parting to showcase your layered bangs. It would give an outstanding appearance while hiding all the discomfort of thin hair.
Receding Hairline for Men
As men get older, there are high chances they would suffer from male pattern baldness. It can occur because of many reasons such as age, eating habits, hormonal changes, or genetics. So, the best way to fight your hair loss or thinning hair is to remove them by having a pattern cut that would give you a cool appeal. Center bang with shaved hair is the hairdo in which the front part of your head is shaved till you have less hair or no hair leaving the center part. You can style the center part of your top hair as a bang in an upward direction creating a unique and charming appeal.
Smudges and Choppy Layers
Adding layers to your hairstyle definitely adds to the charming look and by default, gives an appearance of thicker hair. When you are suffering from hair loss, it is better to chop your locks at a short length with the preferred haircut. You can always choose a highlight for your thin hair to make it appear thicker. To get the particular smudged look, part your hair in a zig-zag way with the help of your hands. Pull your hair from both sides using both your hands in an upward direction to create a messy and bouncy look. Let the layers be free to spread their charm. You can add layered bangs for the front that would give you a dazzling appeal for any occasion.
Another popular and trendy hairstyle for guys these days is pompadour. No matter how thin your hair is or how less the amount of your hair is, a pompadour is always impressive. You can go for a side pompadour and style it by using a thickening cream or spray as it would give the appearance of thickness and adds volume to your hairstyle. You can cut the sides short as getting a haircut helps for thinning hair and the way you look. Better shave off your beard if you have thinning hair as the short pompadour would appear very charming with the short face.
Hair is the first and the most important part of your personality that has a major impact on your looks. When you have a bad hair day, no matter how much makeup you put on or whatever outfit you try but still the glamour would be missing somewhere. So, the perfect way for your hair to look fierce you need to follow the hair care tips and guidelines and the ravishing and terrific appeal is always guaranteed.